Book tasting is the best way to encourage students into reading. Most of the kids these days are more into video games & social media than books. Although the internet provides whatever we need in our fingertip, reading is an efficient way of developing creativity and imagination in kids.
As technology is progressing, aspects of teaching and learning are also shifting accordingly. Ways of learning and acquiring knowledge have more widened perspective than before. Books are considered the best way to learn, and gain knowledge. Reading habits in children are declining due to the influence of social media and games with high-end graphics. Introducing new approaches for enhancing traditional reading habits such as book tasting, book clubs, audiobook library will help the student develop a new outlook for reading.
What’s a Book Tasting?
Book tasting is an event in which students sample books of different genres to identify what kind of books they’d love to read.
How To Conduct A Book Tasting?
1. Set up the library like a restaurant.
2. Arrange books on the basis of their genre.
Most seen genres are Graphic novels; Realistic fiction; Non-fiction; Fantasy; Fairy tales; Biography; Mystery; Horror.
3. Provide each of them with a Book tasting menu to fill out after tasting
4. Ask them to form a group of three or four.
5. Arrange students in such a way that everyone gets at least one book at a time.
6. Ask them to ‘taste’ all of the genres.
7. After book tasting, ask them to gather around and discuss their favorite books and genres.
Organize a Bookclub
Organize a book club in your school and conduct a discussion on different books each week. Book clubs should be the place to nourish young writers and storytellers. Poetry, art, and stories are rare talent these days and building a community for nourishing these talents would aid in building a sensible and wise community.